Monday, November 27, 2006

Birthday Party Continued....

I was hoping Joe could blog but right now he is teaching Alena and her friend Aigerim English. Much has happened since our last blog. We left the birthday party at the orphanage early because of the power outage and went to our translator's 27th birthday party. It was a great honor to be invited to go. The three families and our drivers were treated to a feast. There were all kinds of salads, nuts, candy, fruit, and meat pies. Plus they made Manty, which is a type of Kazak steamed dumpling, and horse sausage. Yes horse!

Kazaks were and in some places still are a nomadic people. The horse is a very important animal in the Kazak life. Very much like the buffalo is to native Americans.

Not only do they use the horse for transportation, but they raise horse as food as well. It is hard to think of eating horse meat but when in Rome!!!!!

So, as not to be rude, we all tried the horse sausage. Horse is just like roast beef! Seriously it is. I do not think I could eat it often, as I like horses way to much. Just give me chicken anyday!!!

As in other parts of Asia, elders are held in great esteem. This is a custom I
personally like very much. Elders have so much to teach us and as a middle age woman, I wouldn't mind being revered as I get older, ha-ha!!!!!

Zhanara, our interpreter, has an older aunt who is in her 60's. She looked older than my parents but was about their age. When she came in the door, everyone paused. She gave the prayer and toasted Zhanara. Joe got up and made a toast, acknowledging the aunt of course, and the aunt was very pleased. Later on Zhanara told me that she thought Joe was a very handsome American. She did not know American men could be handsome and she was surprised! You go Joe! I have never been so proud!

After we ate we did the traditional Asian party game..... Kareoke! Zhanara loves to sing. So we spent the next few hours singing kareoke. When you finish a song you get a score. We all ended up singing and I think Jameson got 100 on one of his songs!

The Power continued to go on and off but we had a wonderful time.

On Saturday. We broke from our routine to get Alena her passport picture. This has been the first tangible thing we have done towards getting her home. We hope and pray that we get a quick court date. We are anxious to get home.

I better go. Thanks for takin g the time to visit our blog. We love knowing that you visit. We shall update soon.

Love,
Joe, Kelly, Jonathan, Jameson, and Alena

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anxiously waiting to hear if you got a date yet!! Joe, I looked today for that item for you and it has not come yet, email me if you need me to do anything else. I will continue to check. Dogs are ok. Pepsy continues to want to come home with me. I dont think Sparky would take kindly to that! Rocky is just glad to see someone. I think someone could break in and he wouldnt care, he would just be happy. Love ready all your posts, keep them coming. Talk to you soon.

Maria said...

Hello! Maria Shepherd here, Brent Shepherd's wife. Just wanted to let you know that love reading your blog. Kelly's comments make us laugh! This is such an exciting experience - thanks for sharing! Good luck and get home soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi Moss family

Great reading about the adventures. Can't wait to see all of you and meet the new member of the family.

We love you and are praying for you.
Love Sue & Mike

Anonymous said...

Joe

Mike said that he replied to the e mail and hopes that you got it

Sue

Anonymous said...

By the way, lets not talk about the horse stuff to Sydney!

Unknown said...

Hi We're glad all is well. The blog is great,really enjoy it. Can't wait to see you and meet Alena. Oh, I'm going to N.Y.C. friday, I could stop at All American Girl, let me know. Love , Mom and Dad (b)

jeanette said...

Hello Moss Family,
I am so enjoying your blog !! Wasn't all that paperwork worth it ????? Hang on- you'll be home before you know it and this will be a memory.
We spent the past weekend freezing at the Detroit State Fair Rink with Kathy Michalke. They are following the blog too. She sends her best and we all hope to meet Alena at Christmas.
My prayers are with you- give Tatyana a kiss for me !!!
Jeanette

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, Havent heard anything from you in a couple of day so i am just checking to see what is happening. Let us know.

Suzie said...

Hey Yall,
I ran into Tina today and am now excited to officially be able to communicate and know that all is going well. God has truly answered your prayers, and we are So excited to meet Alena. Rebekah is determined to teach her English, so save a little for her, Joe. We cannot wait for you to get home and we will be thinking of you often.
Love You,
Suzie