Saturday, February 17, 2007

Finally an Update!

Please forgive us for not updating sooner. I know how frustrating it is when you follow a blog and then, poof, no updates. Hopefully you will all forgive us. Ok where to begin?

As our last blog said we have had some trouble getting Alena to America. The prosecutor who has caused all the trouble continued to protest paperwork on our adoption. Not only that we recently found out over eight families were involved. From what we have heard, all of the families have been put on hold. We were the last in a very long succession of families so we knew if anything was going to happen, then we would be the last. Or so we thought!

Every week we would get a disappointing email about the delay, which was always rescheduled for one or two weeks later. There were times where both Joe and I thought we may be getting a sign from God that adoption was not for us! Then we would think, that couldn't be true because God wants people to care for orphans and if we didn't help Alena, then who would? Joe was upbeat as ever and I did pretty well for the emotional me(ha-ha) and only lost it once. I ended calling our adoption agency and said, "Ok, Tell me what to do." "Call the Embassy, sue the country, What?" Of course that sounds mild compared to the call, I was a bit angry. Then when I thought of Alena waiting I started to cry. She has had such disappointments in her life, we did not want to add to that. We wanted to finally shield her from that. It is maddening!

Along with the frustration, we continued on the travel adventures as soon as we got home. So that helped, in that we were very busy.

Some of you know this so forgive me for repeating. Joe and I have been on a world wind tour starting last April. Our guys were involved in the Atlanta Workshop Players, a wonderful organization in Atlanta, program Hollywood Bound. So last April we started our travels by coming to Los Angeles for the guys to take classes. I was lucky to be a chaperone and Joe was out for a couple of days for work. It was a wonderful experience for the guys and they met some really neet people like, Dennis Haskins, Mr Belding - Saved By the Bell, Christina Lakin - formerly of Step by Step, and many others. They took classes on acting and the business and performed for a Talent Manager, Talent Agent, and Casting Director. Well the talent Manager, an amazing woman, named Kathy Colorado, liked the boys and asked us to contact her about them working. Needless to say, Joe and I were skeptical. But, as with any opportunity, you have to follow up. So after the guys got out of school, we ended up back in LA in June, so Kathy could get a look at the guys and Joe could meet her.

The time out here in June was so fun and the boys, through Kathy, got to meet Dawn and Cindy Osbrink from the Osbrink Talent Agency. Ok, I will be honest, it was cool. Everyone was so nice. The guys loved it and by the grace of God, the Osbrink Agency liked the guys. So we had some decisions to make. Joe and I really have faith, and sometimes what stops you from achieveing your dreams is just taking the step, or being afraid of failure. For Joe and I the thought was the only failure we could have was the money we put into renting while we give the guys their shot, and the time alone, as Joe loved his job and was not moving. So after explaining to the guys the commitment and sacrafice involved, and talking to "experts about Alena", we decided we would let them try and do this for Pilot Season, and more, if it worked. But before we could do anything we had to go to Kazakhstan for Alena, and we had to go to Scotland!

Yes, Scotland, as if we were not busy enough, ha-ha! Last year Jonathan and Jameson's performing arts high school got invited to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. After a year of performing Urinetown(terrible name, great show) in Atlanta the kids all got to perform at the largest International performing arts festival in the world, the Edinburgh Fringe. It is an amazing thing. Hundreds, if not thousands of shows are performed for three weeks in Edingburgh. People from all over the world perform at venues all over the city. It was amazing and what an experience for the guys. So last July the guys and I packed up for just over two weeks over in the UK. I went to visit my brother and wonderful Sister in Law, Hi Mike and Sue, for a week, and the guys were on their tour of London and up to Scotland to prepare for their show. I ended up staying with Mike's in Laws and to be honest, I could have stayed forever. Mo and Ernie are like the family you have or wish you have. I so enjoyed my time and loved being there. It was awesome. After a week bothering them, and drinking Pimms, I ended up in Scotland to watch the guys perform and Joe took a vacation and we had an amazing time in Edinburgh. As for Alena, she was a ways off, as with everything in Int. Adoption it takes time.

After that we got home, we had a week in Cleveland, one or two weeks at home and off to LA we went. So since April we have been in LA, Atlanta, Scotland, LA, one week home, Kazakhstan, one week home, NYC, Lake Placid, Cleveland, and one week home, and back out to LA for a bit! All the while doing school work, most important, and waiting on the call to get Alena.

Week after week went by and it has been heartbreaking. Right now we have been away for such a long time. We left Kazakhstan December 8th. It is awful. Every week we would wait to hear news and ever week we would be disappointed until two weeks ago. That email was wonderful, it said...........We Won. Our coordinator finally had good news. We won in court and for us and two other families, it ment making plans to come get our kids. It was a wonderful feeling. That was until we got a call that we needed to update our homestudy. WHAT, It was surreal. Updating a homestudy is a pain. And it could have added such a long time on our already long time of getting Alena.

In Georgia, you need to update your homestudy if you have not had a referral in a year. That is the law. OK, that was fine, but we had a referral, which is paperwork of a child you are adopting. Not only did we have a referral we were in court before a year. Well our homestudy agency wanted proof or we had to go thru fingerprinting and backround checks. I was beside myself. Not only did we tell them, but our other liscensed agency told them. As a matter of fact the ASST Dir. told them. Not good enough. So, the plan was I would go to Kazakhstan with the other mom's on Saturday and Joe, God love the man, would fly to Atlanta to give them the proof, our court invitation and pictures, get it apostilled, and Fed-Ex it to Kazakhstan before going to his meeting in MD. It actually worked out great because he needed to go to his office, but the added stress was crazy.

Ok, we got that done and then we got the call, problems, we need to be delayed again, one week. Ok, can I scream now!!!!!!! Ok, no problem. The folks at Golden Rule travel were great, and changes made, only a few thousand to bring Alena home!!

So as of last Saturday, I was still going and plans were made, no problem, right? You guessed it, more problems, only this time we were not the ones facing the difficulty. The other two families were told that there needed to be additional paperwork, and they could not come, yet. I just talked to Carrie, one of the mom's and my heart is breaking. They got their visa's and they are ready to go, and they still do not have the court decree. The only family of the eight to get their decree is us. As happy as we are, there is such a sad feeling when you are the only one of eight to actually get your court decree. They are all in limbo, and what can you say.

So now I was going alone. Ok, I will be honest, I know I would have been fine, but I didn't relish the idea. Kazakhstan is a long way away and different than what you and I are used to. Joe didn't like the idea, and after praying he decided he couldn't let me go alone. Just as I decided he shouldn't go. All I could think of is if something happened to him, his parents would never forgive me! They love me like their own, but sometimes I get the feeling they think I instigate our life. I am always up for new adventures, but I truly defer to Joe. He is the saner of the two of us, and anyone who know us, knows that!!! Where I run by emotion, Joe is logical. That is why we work so well together. Plus, I know how busy he is and I could hang at home after the trip, he couldn't sit still if you paid him. So, a wrestling match insued and he won, bigger man theory!!!!! No, we sat down and prayed, did the pros and cons and after much wrangling I relinquished. Kinda like that. It makes sence for him to go. He is a man and Kazakhstan is a man's world. As for Alena, she really enjoyed spending time with him and once she gets home, we will be together all the time. It is a great bonding period for them both.

So, yesterday, Jonathan, Jameson and I dropped Joe off at the International Terminal at LAX. Joe flew to Frankfurt and I just received an email, he is in Kazakhstan with our driver, Igor on his way to the Hotel Kazakhstan, seismically stable Hotel Kazakhstan! (on their internet page!)

I shall keep you all informed as Joe makes his way accross Kazakhstan. Please pray for him, Alena, and the other families as we continue on this crazy road of International Adoption.

Kelly

No comments: